Edible Schoolyard Garden Internship
The Edible Schoolyard Greensboro empowers children and families to create their own food future through food education. The program is housed inside of a children’s museum, a respected experiential educational institution. Interns will spend a semester immersed in this unique atmosphere assisting garden staff to maintain and expand the space, interacting with guests, and learning about seed to table education.
There is one garden position available for each semester:
Fall Semester: September 18th– November 16th
Spring Semester: February 19th -May 3rd
Interns are responsible for:
- Assisting the ESY garden manager in all aspects of garden work. This includes, but is not limited to planting, weeding, animal care, design projects, and greenhouse work.
- Helping to maintain the garden as a beautiful, clean, and interactive exhibit of the Children’s Museum. This includes raking paths, creating signage, and maintaining existing exhibits such as the “Mud Café” and “Fairy Garden.”
- Photo and video documentation
- Serving as ambassadors /interpreters for the garden to Museum guests.
- Occasionally helping with field trip activities
- Occasional help with supervising volunteer groups working in the garden.
- Must be available to work from 8:30am to 12:30pm on at least one day per week. Available days include Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Minimum hours per week: 4
- Maximum number of hours per week: 20 (hours not spent on maintenance may be spent on special projects and/or programming)
Experience and love of working with children of varying ages
High school graduate
Gardening and cooking backgrounds a plus, but not necessary
Spanish language a plus
Fresh garden food, including eggs
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest to Justin Leonard at email@example.com. The letter should include:
- Name, address, phone number, email address
- How did you hear about the program?
- Why do you want to participate in this internship? Note any specific areas of interest you have.
- Describe any previous relevant work experience you have (this could be in gardening, cooking or working with children).
- What role do you tend to play in a group?
- Anything else you would like us to know about you?
- List two references who we may contact.
- Will you be interning for credit?
- Please attach your resume.
- Which session are you able to join us?