Edible Schoolyard Kitchen Internship
Fall 2012/Spring 2013
The Edible Schoolyard Greensboro empowers children and families to create their own food future through food education. The program is housed inside of a children’s museum, a respected experiential educational institution. Classes in the kitchen and garden model sustainable practices and engage children in hands-on lessons that connect food, health, and the environment. Interns will spend their time immersed in this unique atmosphere assisting kitchen staff to execute our programs, specifically an afterschool program for underprivileged youth.
There is one position available for each session (you may apply for one session or both):
First Session: Fall (September- December)
Second Session: Spring (January- May)
Interns are responsible for:
- Implementing gardening and cooking programming to 3rd and 4th graders
- Groups of up to 10 children at time
- Photo and video documentation
- 3 hours a week, each Wednesday from 3:30- 6:30 PM, during the afterschool program (additional hours are available)
Experience and love of working with children and underprivileged youth
High school graduate
Gardening and cooking backgrounds a plus, but not necessary
Spanish language a plus
Fresh garden food, including eggs
To apply, Please submit your resume and cover letter to Jennifer Bedrosian: firstname.lastname@example.org Your letter should answer the following questions.
1) How did you hear about the program?
2) Why do you want to participate in this internship? Note any specific areas of interest you have.
3) Describe any previous relevant work experience you have (this could be in agriculture, landscaping, gardening, construction, cooking or working with children).
4) What role do you tend to play in a group?
5) What should people who will work with you in a close setting know about you?
6) List two references whom we may contact.
7) Will you be interning for credit? Which school are you from and what is your major?
8) Which session(s) are you able to join us? (A: September 12th– December 5th or B: January 30th– May 1st or C: Both!)
9) Anything else you would like us to know about you?